The deadline to register online is August 1, 2017
Open registration announcements will be sent through the Colonial Homeschoolers Newsletter and Spiceline.
The Eta Sigma Alpha (ESA) National Home School Honor Society is the nation’s premier organization established to recognize outstanding home school students who have demonstrated excellence in the areas of scholarship, leadership, service, and integrity.
The Colonial Homeschoolers National Honor Society is the Pi Chapter of the Eta Sigma Alpha National Home School Honor Society. Our Honor Society, for students in 7th-12th grades, focuses on Leadership, Integrity, Networking, Community Service, and Scholarship.
The 2017-2018 school year’s Honor Society co-sponsors are Kathy Berg, Karen Shinn, and Sandy Simpson. You may contact them at: email@example.com.
The National Honor Society has eight club meetings in 2017-2018:
- Induction Ceremony – Friday, September 15, 2017 (7:00 – 9:00 pm)
- Service Project – Saturday, October 14, 2017 (9:30 am– 11:30 am)
- Service Project – Saturday, November 11, 2017 (9:00 am – 12:00 pm)
- Meeting – Thursday, January 11, 2018 (6:30-9:30 pm)
- Meeting – Thursday, February 8, 2018 (6:30 – 9:00 pm)
- Service Project – Saturday, March 10, 2018 (3:00 pm – 8:00 pm)
- Meeting – Thursday, April 12, 2018 (6:30 – 9:00 pm)
- Service Project – Colonial Homeschoolers Graduation – Friday & Saturday, May 18-19, 2018
“The purpose of Eta Sigma Alpha National Home School Honor Society shall be to recognize and encourage scholarship among home school students. To achieve this purpose, Eta Sigma Alpha National Home School Honor Society shall provide opportunities for the development of leadership and service. Eta Sigma Alpha shall encourage the development of an intellectual climate that will stimulate the exchange of ideas and ideals, foster scholarship, and promote academic excellence. Eta Sigma Alpha shall also advocate homeschooling as a viable and successful educational methodology and act as a liaison for homeschooling to the general public, colleges/universities, and the media.”
Eta, the Greek letter that is shaped like an “h” and Sigma, the letter for “s” were chosen, along with Alpha, the first letter of the Greek alphabet to create the name of Eta Sigma Alpha. Eta Sigma Alpha means the “first homeschool” honor society.
Membership will be open to any Christian home school student in grades 7-12 who meets the nationally standardized test score requirement, exhibits integrity in leadership, and participates in community service and/or church ministry. Membership can be renewed each year by submitting a new application with up-to-date, acceptable scores, along with one (not previously used) adult recommendation by the due date. NOTE: The Honor Society is a part of Colonial Homeschoolers; member families will be required to join Colonial Homeschoolers.
Students must exhibit a high scholastic level by providing test scores from the most recent testing period from one of the following nationally standardized tests.
Mandatory test score requirements for membership:
- 88 (CLT)
- 1200 (SAT)
- 26 (ACT)
- 1200 (PSAT)
- 1200 (PSAT 10)
- 1200 (PSAT 8/9)
- 90% composite score (complete battery) on the Iowa
- 90% on the total battery (the score listed under the National PR-S column) on the Stanford nationally normed standardized achievement test
- With the continuing technology changes, online testing is currently being offered more frequently in lieu of hard copy testing. Online testing may be used if given at a testing center or at a private tester’s facility. Parents must not have access to the student, computer or test materials while the test is being administered. Students must not have access to other electronic devices which may connect to the internet, email or texting during testing.
- Test scores should not be more than 1 year old. (Note: For the 2017-2018 year, the test must have been administered between September 2016 and August 2017.)
- All tests must be administered in a group setting if a parent is helping with the test administration. If a group setting is not possible, a non-family member may administer the test in a one-on-one setting, as long as the parent does not have access to the test. Parent administered tests are not acceptable.
For information on this standard, please refer to the ESA National Honor Society website: www.etasigmaalpha.com/membership/
This quality is defined through voluntary contributions made by the student to ministry within the church and/or community service. The student must complete a minimum of 20 hours each year. Please keep accurate records of your volunteer hours to be submitted at the end of the year to complete your membership requirements.
Students must be recommended by two non-family adults. One recommendation must be from a church leader or staff member who has regular contact with the student. Renewal of membership will require only one additional adult recommendation (not previously used).
Students must be attending a local Bible-believing church. Parents and students must sign the “Statement of Faith” on the application form.
Membership is renewable each year according to the criteria above. There is a membership fee of $50 per year per student. This includes an Honor Society t-shirt, an Honor Society cord for seniors, administrative costs, as well as costs associated with meetings throughout the year. Membership is only available to families who are members of Colonial Homeschoolers. End-of-year reports regarding church ministry and/or community service hours must be submitted in the spring in order to complete the membership requirements. Additionally, PARENTS are REQUIRED to volunteer for one responsibility PER ENROLLED STUDENT during the year.
Eight (8) meetings are scheduled annually, which includes the Induction Ceremony. Attendance at meetings is mandatory, although participants are allowed to miss three (3) meetings if necessary. Students may not be more than 30 minutes late or leave more than 30 minutes early for any meeting/service project in order for their attendance to be counted.
Once your online registration is complete you will receive a confirmation email with instructions for submitting a copy of your test scores.
The DEADLINE for RECEIPT of test scores and recommendation form(s) is Friday, August 11, 2017 – submitted via US Mail in a SINGLE packet.
Register Here – registration closes August 1, 2017.