The graduation ceremony has been postponed to July 18, 2020.
Registration will close June 18.
Only parents and graduates may attend the ceremony. The ceremony will be online with ZOOM for family members to observe. Our ceremony will be in the chapel at Colonial Baptist Church. We will have a speaker and special music followed by the diploma ceremony when parents will present their child with the diploma.
Unfortunately, due to COVID 19 restrictions, we will NOT be having the rehearsal nor the Blessings dessert. There will also not be a reception after the ceremony, but there will be a gift for the graduate to collect on their way out.
Thank you for being flexible. If this new date does not work with your schedule, please let Jonell Williams know at email@example.com. We can refund your registration.
Also, starting now, if you have more than one graduate in your family, you will pay full price for the first graduate and 1/2 price for the successive graduates. Please email Jonell Williams at firstname.lastname@example.org for a discount code to receive this discount.
Air hug, Carolyn Cuany.
Colonial Homeschool Graduation Director
The 2020 graduation ceremony is Saturday, July 18 at 10:00AM.
Reception Immediately Following
Read this information carefully before registering.
Each May we host a graduation ceremony for homeschool students. This is a special way to celebrate the students’ accomplishments and hard work. Congratulations on reaching this milestone!
- This is NOT a community graduation. This is for students who attend Colonial Baptist Church or have participated in one of Colonial’s homeschool high school programs.
- Advance registration is required. Deadline to register is 11:00 pm on June 18.
- February, 2020: Registration opens
- February 26, 2020: Informational Meeting at 7:00pm in Family Center room FC 201 at Colonial Baptist Church — Enter through the West Entrance, turn left and take the elevator to the 2nd floor of the Family Center.
- June 18, 2020: Registration deadline
- July 18, 2020 at 10 am : Graduation Ceremony
The registration fee is $90 per graduate.
- Graduation Day class photo
- Graduation Day reception for family and friends – canceled — see above.
Prior To Registration (You will not be able to register without these.)
- Gather 3 digital photos (jpeg in landscape format is preferable): a baby picture, elementary/middle years picture, and recent informal photo of the graduate. These photos will be displayed on the screen during the graduation.
- Prepare a biography of no more than 100 words. This biography will be read while the graduate and parents are on stage. Some suggestions for what to mention include: interests and hobbies; place of birth; names of the immediate family; awards, honors and scholarships; clubs; community service; church participation; mission trips; favorite verse; University to be attended and future plans.
Here are sample biographies:
“Jane Smith is an 18 year old graduate of her family’s home school, Smith Academy. She has been home schooled for 4 years. Activities that she has been involved in through the years are soccer, basketball, violin, orchestra, and National Honor Society. She will enter University of North Carolina at Charlotte in the fall, with a major in Psychology. Jane enjoys watching sports, playing ultimate frisbee, and spending time with good friends.”
“John Doe is the son of Larry and Sue. Born and raised in Cary, he has been homeschooled his whole life. John loves to read but not write, play sports, but not run, and watch TV, but not the commercials. Whenever he can, John can be found spending time with his brothers and friends. He has served in Awana for seven years and will continue to do so in college. A member of the National Honor Society and a National Merit Finalist, John has taken 19 credit hours from Durham Tech. In the fall, John will study environmental engineering at NC State University.”
Graduation Dress Code
- Black graduation cap and gown in a matte finish. (You must provide your cap and gown.)
- Each student must wear “church” clothes under the graduation gown. Modest dresses for girls and dress shirt, tie and dress slacks for boys.
- Dress shoes are required for both male and females. (No flip flops or sports shoes)
Items to Purchase
You will need to bring the following to the graduation ceremony:
- Black cap and gown in a matte finish.
- Tassel in a color of your choosing.
- Diploma and diploma cover. (Black)
- Honor cords for students in an Honor Society.
- Gold stole for students with a GPA of at least 3.75
- OPTIONAL: If you plan to purchase announcements or invitations, the address is:
Colonial Baptist Church / 6051 Tryon Road; Cary, NC 27518 / 10:00 AM
One source for obtaining these items is www.graduationsource.com
Blessing Celebration – canceled
Following the MANDATORY rehearsal, graduates and their parents are invited to participate in a special time of blessing and thanksgiving. Parents will have an opportunity to share memorable words of blessing and encouragement with their graduate. Please note that because of the number of graduates, each family will have 3 minutes to share. Therefore, many parents will come with prepared remarks to make the best use of the time. Dinner will be served.
The rehearsal is mandatory but the Blessing Celebration is optional. This event is for parents and the graduate only. No siblings or other guests. This allows parents to have a special focused time with their graduates.
The cost is $30 per family.
Senior Display Board – canceled
There is a reception for graduates and guests immediately following the graduation ceremony. Many families display a trifold board or poster that highlights their student’s special moments, awards and certificates that have helped him or her arrive where they are today. These boards will be displayed during the reception. A senior board is optional, but the table space for a board must be reserved in advance. Please make sure that your graduate’s name is somewhere on the board.
(Remember, you must attend Colonial Baptist Church or have participated in one of Colonial’s homeschool programs to participate in this graduation. This is not a community graduation.) Email will be our only form of communication. It is important that we have both the student and parent email addresses. You will receive a confirmation email when you register. If you do not receive a confirmation email, please contact Jonell Williams at email@example.com.